Great Harwood Land Tax 1782
Reproduced with permission of the Lancashire Record Office.
Transcribed by Barbara Youds
‘A Land Tax was imposed from 1692 to 1831, and was made perpetual in 1797. Between 1780 and 1831 returns were sent to the Clerk of the Peace for the Quarter Sessions. They consist of lists of houses and their owners and occupiers, and the tax paid. Returns were made every spring. The usual rate was 4 shillings in the pound.’
Richardson, J – The Local Historian’s Encyclopedia